MACHILIPATNAM

Patron : Holy Cross
Parish Priest : Rev. Fr. Lamu Jayaraju

Asst. Parish Priest: Fr. Kama Anil

Address : Parish Priest
Catholic Church
Machilipatna
Krishna Dt. – 521 002

Telephone No : 08672 – 25 02 57

Catholics : 4142
Chapels : 16
Prayer huts : 01
Catechists : 12
Substations : 18
Schools : 05
Teachers : 23

Institutions:
➢ Holy Cross Convent & Hospital
➢ Nirmala Convent & English Medium High School
➢ Holy family Convent & Formatiuon House
➢ St. Francis High School & Boarding Home for Boys
➢ St. Francis English Mediun School
➢ Holy Cross High School for Girls
➢ Savio Orphanage

History:
The hsitory of the Catholoc Church in Machilipatm (1898) goes back to the 16th cetury, when there was already a Catholic community here. The following misssionaries worked here: Augustinians, Theatine Fathers, French Jesuiots, Capuchins, foreign missionaries of Paris and PIME Fathers. The first resident missionaries were Augustinain Friar Antonio De Castro (1646). The Theatine Fathers succeeded the Augustinians. The Catholic congregaation consisted almost wholly of Tamils at the service of the army. In the beginningg, the parish headquarters was close to the fort, where Fr. Aoan De Moura built a Church with the help of a French Lady Mrs. Catherine in 1797, but it was destroyed by the cyclone and tidal wave of 1864. In the 18th century another church dedicated to St. Cajetan was built in frenchpeta by Fr. Gabriel for the Tamil congregation there, but the missonaries left fot eluru in 1868, so that between 1868 and the turn of the centurty there was no resident priest at Machilipatnam.

In 1903, with the arrival of Fr. P. Satambrigio, a new era began. He with the assistance of his able Catechist Arava David, started the conversion movement. On 15th oct. 1935 Fr. B. Venturin took charge of the parish and worked untiringly for three decades. Several improvements were made. He opened St. Francis Hostel in 1941 for the poor children of the parish, built a new church dedicated to the Holy Crosss by the side ot the old collapsing church of St. Cajetan, blessed by bishop Battista on 16th April, 1959 and started the Holy Cross hospital in 1953. In 1975 Fr. Anthony Kalakal purchased a piece of land across the road for the new hospoital building.

In course of time, Machilipatnam was bifurcated and the parishes of Avanigadda (with its parish affiliations at Challapalli and Nagayalanka) Bantumilli, Pedana and Manginapudi were erected.

Substations: 18
Kalapatnam (1980), Kaza(1949), Gurijapalli, Kankatave – Kotha (1942), Kankatava – Patha (1942),Kotha thummulapalem, patha thummulapalem,peda karagaram, Rajupeta (1979), Patha Ramannapeta (1946), Tarakaturu (1954), Bander kota, Idugillapalli,Dodlapalem, Masthankhanpeta,Parnasala,Guduru, Nidumolu.

Former Parish priests:
Fr. O’ Brien PIME (1851 – )
Fr. O’ Brien with Fr. D. Barbero (1855 – )
Fr. O’ Brilen with Fr. F. Pozzi (1857 – )
Fr. O’ Brien with Frs. F. Pozzi & V. Bigi (1858 – )
Fr. V. Bigi PIME (1860 – )
Fr. D. Barbero (1862 – )
Fr. O’ Brien & A. Tagliabue ( 1864 – )
Fr. L. Malberti (1866 – 1868)
Fr. Piatti (Presbytery reconstructed) (1895 – )
Fr. M. Civati PIME (1895 – )
Fr. W. Sincelli PIME (1898 – )
Fr. H. Umberto Colli (1898 – ¬ 1903 )
Fr. Paolo Santambrogio PIME (1903 – 1908 )
Fr. Pietro Offredi PIME (1908 – 1909)
Fr. Varginio Cornalba (1909 – 1910)
Fr. J. Eiuseppe Stefanetti (1910 – 1913)
Fr. Pio tentorio PIME (1913 – 1918)
Fr. Msgr. Xavier Pinto (1918 – 1920)
Fr. Msgr. H. Pezzoni (1920 – 1924)
Fr. Cesare Baldarelli (1924 – 1929)
Fr. Charlo silva (1929 – 1932)
Fr. Antonio Ghisaura (1932 – 1933)
Fr. A. Eiuseppa Lombardi (1933 – 1935)
Fr. Bresio Venturin PIME (Oct 1935 – Jun 1966)
Fr. Pozzoni (Jan 1950 – Feb 1952)
Fr. Jose Kaithakott ( Jun 1966 – Oct 1967)
Fr. Jose kaithakott ( Oct 1967 – Aug 1969)
Fr. Francis Kavalam (Aug 1969 – Mar 1971)
Fr. T.S. Edward (Mar 1971 – Sep 1973)
Fr. Anthony kalakal (Sep 1973 – Mar 1981)
Fr. Mathew Thoppil (Mar 1981 – Dec 1986)
Fr. Stephen Pamitti (Dec 1986 – Jul 1989)
Fr. Ettackakunnel Thomas (Jul 1989 – Jun 1990)
Fr. Mallavalli Balaswamy ( Jun 1990 – Apr 1992)
Fr. Katrukudiyil Abraham Thomas (May 1992 – May 1993)
Fr. Polimetla Joachim (Oct 1995 – Sep 1996)
Fr. Thottakara Chacko (Sep 1996 – May 2003)
Fr. Mesapam Gabriel (June 2003 – May 2008)
Fr. Kondru Simharayalu (May 2008 – June 2011)
Fr. Valle Vijaya Joji Babu (June 2011 – May 2012)
Fr. Pasala Thomas (May 2012 – Oct 2016)

Fr. Lamu Jayaraju (Nov 2016 –