KANURU

Patron : Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Parish Priest : Rev. Fr. Antony Kalathiparambil, OCD

Address : Parish Priest
Carmel Vidya Bhavan
Kanuru, Vijayawada – 520 007
Telephone No : (0866) 2081244

Catholics : 1946
Chapels : 05
Prayer huts : 01
Catechists : 05

Substations : 06
Schools : 01
Teachers : 03

Institutions:
➢ Carmel Vidya Bhavan ( OCD Fathers Formation House)
➢ Carmel Niketan Convent (CTC Sisters)
➢ Carmel Niketan English Medium School

History:
The parish of Kanuru was bifurcated from the parishes of St. Paul’s Cathedral and Kankipadu and was canonically erected a parish on 16.07.1994. The parish is dedicated to our Lady of Mount Carmel. It is entrusted to the Carmelite Fathers who have their formation house, Carmel Vidya Bhavan in Kanuru. Fr. Matthew Ponvelil OCD was appointed its first parish priest. Fr. Constentine OCD, superior of Carmel Vidya Bhavan undertook to build the Church. It was completed by Fr. Matthew OCD and was blessed on 16 July,1994 by Rt. Rev. Joseph Thumma, Bishop of Vijayawada in the presence of the Carmelite Provincial of the Manjummel province, Rev. Fr. Athanasius D’ Almeda OCD. Four substations of St. Paul’s Cathedral and two from Kankipadu parish were taken as the substations of Kanuru parish. On 6 July,1997 a parish hall was blessed by Rt.Rev. Marampudi Joji, Bishop of Vijayawada. A shrine called Carmel Matha was blessed on 18th 1999 by Rt.Rev. Marampudi Joji.

Substation: 06
Kamayyatopu (1952), Old Poranki (1972), New Poranki (1978), Ganguru (1916), Salipeta, New Ganguru (1971).

Former Parish Priests:

Fr. Ponevelil Matthew OCD (Aug 1994 – Sep 1996)
Fr. Vallomthayil Jacob OCD (Sep 1996 – Aug 2003)
Fr. Antony Kadeparambil OCD (Aug 2003 – June 2008)
Fr. Nelson Kottiath OCD (June 2008