JAGGAYYAPETA

Patron : The Sacred Heart
Parish Priest : Rev. Fr. Junjunuri John Raju (VF)

Address : Parish Priest & Vicar Forane
Catholic Church, JAGGAYYAPETA
Krishna Dt. – 521 175

Telephone number : 08654-22 20 78

Catholics : 2354
Chapels : 11
Catechists : 08
Substations : 13

Institutions:
➢ St. Ann’s convent, Hospital & Upper Primary School (St. Ann’s Luzern)
➢ Leprosy Rehabilitation Centre
➢ St. Ann’s Orphanage for girls
➢ Sacred Heart Parish Orphanage for Boys

History:
Jaggayyapeta (1940) was bifurcated from Nawabupeta and erected into a parish in January, 1952. Formerly it was called Betavolu, an important commercial centre towards the end of the last century (1880). It was not know when the Gospel was first announced in this area; but we may presume that it was done at an early stage, since missionaries journeying from Secunderabad down to Krishna district, used to break journey at Jaggayyapeta. But the real Christian history of Jaggayyapeta began with the arrival of the Sisters of St. Ann of Luzern, who opened a maternity Hospital on 15th February, 1945. Fr. Rolla (the first priest to reside at Bayyaram 1902-1903) also baptized some people in Jaggayyapeta area. In 1951, presbytery was built by Fr. Charles Merlo PIME who was residing at Jagannadhapuram. Later the church attached to the Hospital was built by the Sisters. Fr. Jacob Varicat remodeled the presbytery in 1970. The preset parish church built by Fr. Sebastian Kottoor was blessed on 11 Mar, 1981 by Bishop Joseph Thumma. Bishop Joji blessed St. Joseph’s Chapel at Papaiahpalem on 27 June, 1999 built by Fr. Saka Johnnes, Parish Priest. Present existing presbytery was constructed by Fr.Salikiti Immanuel and was blessed by Most Rev. Mallavarapu Prakash on 20th November, 2006. Parish Hostel for boys was constructed by Fr. Mula Joseph Thambi and was inaugurated on 10th March 2010 by His Lordship Mallavarapu Prakash. Fr. Mula Joseph Thambi constructed a new Parish Church and it was blessed and inaugurated on 2nd May 2012, by Most Rev. Mallavarapu Prakash.

Substations: 13
Balusupadu (1961), Boodavada (1968), Desupalem (1971), Gandrai (1955), Mangolu (1960), Papaiahpalem (1954), Modugupalli Pedda, Muktyala (1983), Ramachandrapeta (1956), Redlakunta, Shermohammedpet (1960), Vedadri (1973), Jaggayyapeta (1950).

Former Parish Priests:
Fr. P Barlassina PIME (Dec 1951 – Oct 1957)
Fr. Mannala Zachaira (Oct 1957 – Jan 1959)
Fr. Ja Simonella PIME (Jan 1959 – Mar 1960)
Fr. Kudilingal George (Mar 1960 – Nov 1961)
Fr. Thonakara Thomas (Nov 1961 – Nov 1965)
Fr. Varicat Jacob (Nov 1965 – Mar 1971)
Fr. Kavalam Francis (Mar 1971 – Jul 1977)
Fr. Muppasseril Mathew (Jul 1977 – Oct 1978)
Fr. Kottoor Sebastian (Oct 1978 – Mar 1981)
Fr. Mesapam Gabriel (Mar 1981 – Apr 1983)
Fr.Chollackal Alexander (Apr 1983 – May 1984)
Fr.Therukunnel Anthony (May 1984 – Dec 1986)
Fr. Puthumayil Chacko (Dec 1986 – May 1990)
Fr. Vanamala Xavier (May 1990 – Feb 1991)
Fr. Thumma Albin Reddy (Feb 1991 – Oct 1993)
Fr. Puppady James (Oct 1993 – May 1995)
Fr.Kolakani Marianna (May 1994 – May 1995)
Fr.Madhu Balaswamy (May 1995 – May 1998)
Fr. Saka Johannes (May 1998 – May 2005)
Fr. S. Emmanuel (May 2005 – May 2009)
Fr. Mula Joseph Thamby (May 2009 – Jan 2013)
Fr. Damala Vijay Kumar (Jan 2013 – Oct 2016)

Fr. Junjunuri John Raju ( Nov 2016 –