GANNAVARAM

Patron : The Infant Jesus
Parish Priest :Rev. Fr. Mallavalli Balaswamy
Address : Parish Priest & Vicar Forane
Catholic Church
GANNAVARAM
Krishna Dt. – 521 101

Telephone number : 08676- 25 31 30
Catholics : 1828
Chapels : 05
Catechists : 04
Substations : 05

Institutions :
➢ Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel
➢ St. John’s High School & Hostel for Boys
➢ St. Peter Claver Convent (Sisters of St. Peter Claver)
➢ St. Peter Claver Hostel for Girls
➢ St. Peter Claver Technical School for Girls

History:
Gannavaram (1961) a small town 20 kms from Vijayawada, a part from being the Mandal headquarters, enjoys the reputation of having Vijayawada’s airport. For a long time, the old congregation here was part of the more modest parish of Kesarapalli. In 1969, the Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel started the St. John’s H. S. School, adding a new dimension of the church’s presence in the area. Sisters St. Peter Claver opened their House at Gannavaram in 1981 to assist in the education and training of girls.
Fr. Yadala Balswamy, PP of Kesarapalli (1972-1979) started the construction of the parish church. It was completed by Fr. M Josudas and was blessed by Bishop Joseph Thumma on 13 April, 1980. Fr. Jesudas also built the presbytery in 1982. Gannavaram was erected into an independent parish in 28 April, 1984.

Substation: 05
Allapuram (1912), Buddhavaram, Davajigudem (1961), Nagavarappadu (1985), V N Puram.

Former Parish Priests:
Fr. Meka Jesudas (Apr 1984 – Sep 1985)
Fr. Vadakel George (Sep 1985 – Jul 1989)
Fr. Pamiti John Stephen (Jul 1989 – Feb 1990)
Fr. Guda Melchior Raju (Acting PP) (Feb 1990 – Jun 1991)
Fr. Mannala Zacharias (Jun 1991 – Jun 1992)
Fr. Meka Jesudas (Jun 1992 – Apr 1998)
Fr. Therukunnel Anthony (Apr 1998 – May 2006)
Fr. Eleti William Jaya Raju (May 2006 – Oct 2016)

Rev. Fr. Mallavalli Balaswamy (Nov 2016 –