CHATRAI

Patron : The Holy Rosary
Parish Priest : Rev. Fr. Amire Ajay
Address : Parish Priest
Catholic Church
CHATRAI, Krishna Dt. – 521 221

Telephone number : 08673-25 72 37
Catholics : 4063
Chapels : 09
Catechists : 10
Substations : 10

Institutions :
➢ Holy Rosary Convent (Catechist Sisters of Sty. Ann)
➢ Holy Rosary Orphanage & RCM School

History:
On 20 Nov 1971, the Parish of Chatrai was established with 20 villages from Vissannapeta. The village of Chatrai had been baptized by Fr. D Paoli PIME on 11 June, 1948 when he was in charge of Chinthalapudi. This village later came under the parish of Visannapeta and under the care of Fr. Mario Fumagalli PIME, who brought several villages of the area to the catholic faith. It was he who purchased a plot of land at Chatrai with a view to starting a new parish.

The parish church and presbytery were built by Fr. Thota Balaswamy PIME in 1976. In 1984 the catechist sisters of St. Ann opened a convent here to assist in running the parish elementary school, boarding home and health centre. The hospital dedicated to Our Lady of Tindari in Sicily was blessed by the bishop of Patti, the sponsoring Diocese, on 23 Jan, 1985. The new church was built by Fr. Saka Johannes and blessed by Bishop Joseph Thumma on 15 Nov, 1993.

Substations: 10
Arugolanupeta (1966), Burugagudem (1971), Chatrai (1973), Gudipadu (1959), Janardhanavaram Mlp, Jayapuram (1960), Polavaram (west) (1943), Polavaram (east) (1971), Thummagudem (1948).

Former Parish Priests:

Fr. Thota Balaswamy PIME (Nov 1971 – Jan 1977)
Fr. Orlando Quintaba PIME (Jan 1977 – Apr 1983)
Fr. Eleti William Jaya Raju (Apr 1983 – Dec 1986)
Fr. Kattrukudidyil Abraham Thomas (Dec 1986 – May 1992)
Fr. Saka Johannes (May 1992 – May 1994)
Fr. Guzzula Michael (May 1994 – Aug 1999)
Fr. Thulimalli Anthony Kumar (Aug 1999 – May 2007)
Fr. Remalli Suresh Kumar (May 2007 – May 2010)
Fr. Maddala Joseph (May 2010 – Oct 2016)

Fr. Amire Ajay ( Nov 2016 –