CHALLAPALLI

Patron : The Sacred Heart
Parish Priest : Rev. Fr. John Peter Burri
Address : Parish Priest
Catholic Church
CHALLAPALLI, Krishna Dt. – 521 126
Telephone No : (0871) 22 27 59
Catholics : 2146
Chapels : 12
Catechists : 05
Substations : 12

History:
Challapalli (1963) was bifurcated from Avanigadda and canonically erected into a parish in April, 1971. The Gospel was first announced in the area by missionaries’ residing at Masulipatnam. Challapalli was a town of some importance since it was the residence of a local Rajah and the Rajah of Challapalli made acquaintance with the Sisters of St. Ann of Luzern who were working in Machilipatnam at that time. According to their original Charism the Sisters served in individual households assisting mothers in child-birth, and Sr. Hedwig, a Swiss nun, served in the Rajah’s household at Challapalli for 30 long years. The parish Church and the presbytery at Challapalli were constructed in 1979 by Fr. Ettackakunnel P Thomas, then Parish Priest of Avanigadda. . The New Parish Church was built by Fr. B. Vijaya Raju and was blessed and inaugurated by Most Rev. Prakash Mallavarapu on 03rd September, 2006.

Substations: 12
Bogireddipalli (1966), Chinna Yadara (1950), Chintalamada, Chiruvolu, Pedda Chiruvolu, Ganjivanipalem, K.Kothapalem (1950), Kummaripalem (1957), Mangalapuram (1986), Mopidevi colony, Mangalapuram, Pedaprolu.

Former Parish Priests:
Fr. Mathew Koilidam (Apr 1971 – Feb 1976)
Fr. Peter Mannala (Feb 1976 – Mar 1981)
Fr. Joseph Ezharath (Mar 1981 – Sep 1984)
Fr. Guzzzula Michael (Sep 1984 – Dec 1986)
Fr. Bezwada Samuel John (Dec 1986 – July 1989)
Fr. Mathew Manilate (Jul 1989 – Jun 1992)
Fr. Bontha Lourdu Francis (Jun 1992 – Apr 1998)
Fr. Dovari Joseph (Apr 1998 – May 2004)
Fr. Bavanu Vijaya Raju (May 2004 – May 2007)
Fr. Kakumanu Sebastian (May 2007 – May 2010)
Fr. Mathangi Maria Kumar (May 2010 – May 2012)
Fr. Burri John Peter (May 2012 –