AVANIGADDA

Patron : The Holy Family
Parish Priest : Rev. Fr. Golla Vijaya Kumar
Address : Parish Priest
Catholic Church, AVANIGADDA
Krishna Dt. – 521 123

Telephone No : (08671) 27 22 51
Catholics : 4534
Chapels : 09
Catechists : 06
Substations : 10
Parish Schools : 01
Teachers : 02

Institutions :
➢ St. Ann’s Convent (Sisters of Sty. Ann, Luzern )
➢ St. Ann’s Hospital
➢ St. Ann’s E.M High school
➢ RCM T.M High School & Hostel

History:

Avanigadda (1905) was bifurcated from Masulipatnam and erected into a parish in 1920. Fr Santambrogio PIME was the pioneer missionary of this region. They village of Avanigadda (Kotagirilanka- Seethayalanka) was baptized by Fr. Tentorio in 1905, while he was parish priest of Bandar. Later he built his “Indestructible” church here, which was blessed in 1917. A year later, it was to become his grave when on 19 June 1918 he died here, reportedly of cholera. Besides him is buried Fr. P Fontana who went to assist the cholera stricken people of Peddampalem succumbed to the disease on 24 March 1931. The sisters of St. Anne of Turin and Catechist Sisters of St. Francis, Secunderabad did commendable catechetical work in the area.

Thanks to the continuous apostolic developments, the parish was bifurcated into Avanigadda North and Avanigadda South on 01 Oct, 1961. This joint parish arrangement came to an end with the erection of the parish of Challapalli in 01 April, 1971. Fr. George Puraidam built the presbytery. The killer cyclone of 19 Nov, 1977 destroyed the Parish Church and caused immense damage to life and property. According to one estimate, 50,000 people perished in the area and the tragedy attracted worldwide attention. Fr Mathew Kuzhikandam and Fr. Chacko Thottakara untiringly shouldered the extensive reconstruction work. Bishop Joseph Thumma blessed the renovated parish church on 29 May 1980. The present Presbytery was built by Fr. M. Louis Raju and blessed by Most. Rev. Dr. Prakash Mallavarapu on 15th May 2006.

Substation: 10
Avanigadda (8th Ward), Bandalaicheruvu (1969), V. Kothapalem (1945), Kothapeta (1927), Medilanka (1945), Modumudi (1951), Nangegaddapalem (1940), Regulanka, Venkanuru, Paathakota

Former Parish Priests:
Msgr. H. Pexxoni PIME (1920 -1924)
Fr. Cesare Baldarelli PIME (1921 -1935)
Fr. Paolu Fontana PIME (1931 – )
Fr. Augusto Zanini PIME (1935 -1940)
Fr. Marnni Showry (1940 -1943)
Fr. M. Elipulicat (1943 – )
Fr. Luigi Pozzoli PIME (1943 -1949)
Fr. P. Barlassina PIME (1950 -1961)
Fr. C Rimondi PIME (1951 -1961)
Fr. Ettackakunnel P Thomas (1961 -1971)
Fr. Anthony Kalakal (1961 -1963)
Fr. Augustine Kunnakatt (1963 -1967)
Fr. George Puriadam (1967 -1972)
Fr.Joseph Kalluparampil (1973 -1977)
Fr. Mathew Kuzhikandam (1977 -1979)
Fr. Chacko Thottakara (1979 -1985)
Fr. Joseph Puthukulangara (1985 -1990)
Fr. Mandadi Prasad (1990 -1991)
Fr. Guda Melchior Raju (1991 -1992)
Fr.Vanamala Xavier (1992 -1994)
Fr. Inti Anmthony (1994 -1995)
Fr.Thulimella Anthony Kumar (1994 -1999)
Fr. Anthony Savarirajan (Aug 1999 – April 2000)
Fr. Pasala Thomas (April 2000 – May 2005)
Fr. Mandapati Louis Raja (May 2005 – July 2011)
Fr. Nakka David Raja (July 2011 – Oct 2016)

Fr. Golla Vijaya Kumar ( Nov 2016 –